Hi, I’m Marty Finestone
I combine 15+ years spent in private practice and in-house together with my background in technology, operations, and legal design to legal departments innovate, simplify, and thrive.
Over my legal career, I have worked in government, in-house and at a national and then international law firm. I am well-versed in the challenges and hassles that small legal departments face. Through my consultancy Legal Adjacency, I work with in-house counsel to make their work easier and help their legal department thrive.
As a lawyer, I have worked for national and international law firms and have been seconded to the legal department of the Canadian operations of a leading global chemical company. I completed my articles at the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC).
In addition to a law degree, I hold an undergraduate degree in media, information and technoculture and a Master of Laws, with a concentration in technology and the law.
From making legal operations easier, to containing outside counsel costs, to improving the delivery of internal client service, I help small in-house legal departments do more with less. As an Ontario business lawyer, I am also there when in-house counsel needs a trusted advisor to brainstorm or work through substantive legal issues. As the head of Legal Adjacency, it is my mission to make the work easier for small in-house legal departments.
- World Commerce & Contracting
- Corporate Legal Operations Consortium (CLOC)
- Internal Technology Law Association
- Legal Operators
- Canadian Bar Association
International Business Communications Standards
- Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion – individual practitioner
- I love, love, love, listening to music, going to live shows, cratedigging, and collecting records.
- I hosted and produced a couple of live radioshows during my undergraduate days. Even better, my daughter and I co-hosted a live radioshow when she was 5 and 6.
- The first website that I designed, which was hardcoded in HTML, was done in 1994.
- I think building Lego is awesome.
- I love houseplants and icecream cake.
- Some people might think that I have too many sneakers. Others, though, might think that I don’t have enough.